
About a year a go the RS asked me to teach a sewing class. They explained how they wanted it to be taught and gave me a list of who signed up. Well, being the somewhat rebellious person that I am, I wasn't all that thrilled on the approach. I'm not really good at calling people and pinning them down to committment. So I came up with what I thought was a better plan. I sent out a little flyer letting the sisters know that I was willing to help them learn to sew, learn to use their machines, read patterns, etc. etc. But I left the responsibility to contact me up to them. I figured if they were really interested they would call. To jump start me little class or sewing sessions, I made this skirt as our first project with a list of supplies needed and an evening set aside where they could come and sew it up. The RS had said that there were several woman who were very interested in learning how to sew. So the big night came, house was cleaned, sewing area ready, kids homework was completed early and ready for bed and I was ready for a flood of woman. Well, you can guess what happened. I think its a common occurence that people say they want to learn how to do something but they really don't mean it. I had one lady show up. Since this person happened to be the RS member who asked me to do the class I think she may have been a little worried that we wouldn't have anyone show up.

It acutally worked out perfectly because we were able to completely finish her skirt in one evening. This could not have happened if we'd had a large group. She was thrilled and we got the skirt to fit her beautifully.
Since this first evening things have gone a little better than I'd planned. I had let the sisters know that I'm willing to help them with unfinished sewing projects. So I got a call from a friend wanting help finishing her comforter for her bed. We had several hours of fun conversation and her comforter turned out great.
I realize now that if I only help one person, the class is a success.
3 comments:
Definitely! I feel that way about my canning class too. If only one person catches the bug that is fine with me.
You're nice. I don't have the patience to teach people to sew. But I will teach my daughters.
Yes, Mom can tell you about my quilting bee group....so many sisters say they want to learn and come....When mom was here last she was the only one that came....she had no choice! Luckily that doesn't usually happen and with the couple that do make it, it's nice to have adult conversation and be getting something done at the same time.
Post a Comment