Monday, April 6, 2009

Pillowcase dresses

The one thing that I didn't bank on with my sewing class is that people would ask me to sew for them. That wasn't really the point of the class, but this project turned out very positively. The young gal has been in our ward for almost two years and I hardly know anything about her. How pathetic is that! We had some wonderful conversation and I was able to learn a lot about her. She had seen these dresses at a wedding and asked if I could make one for her daughter. If you clicked on the site, you'll notice the cost of one of these dresses is almost 30$. Are people crazy? I guess if you know nothing about sewing you'd pay that.
This is my friends daughter modeling our finished dresses. I think they turned out so cute. Especially since it cost 18$ to make two. We probably could have got the cost down more, but we used Michael Miller and Moda fabrics. These typicaly cost more per yard. I think that the fabric can either make or break these dresses. We didn't want them to look home made. The black ribbon at the bottom of this dress is actually velvet.

I think I like the black and white dress better, but this pink dress has some cute rick rack on the bottom edge to help gussy it up. Thanks to my cousin Emily for these directions on how to make them. I did make a few changes to the pattern. Since we wanted to use ribbon for the ties instead of bias tape, I had to come up with a way to face the armpit nicely so it wouldn't show on the right side. Emily, thanks for making me look like I new what I was doing.


3 comments:

Renae said...

Those are so cute. Too bad I don't really know anyone close by who is having girls.

Leslie said...

fabric choice is EVERYTHING. love the ric rac

Emily said...

Those turned out SOOOOO adorable! I agree that fabric is everything! Good choices!