Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Little Bird

One day while we were out in the garden, this little baby bird flew straight toward me and landed on my shirt. I was so startled that I hit him away and he fell to the ground. Well, since I wasn't going to hold him, he took off after the kids and hitched a ride on Spencer's swim suit. It appeared that he was just learning to fly, so we thought maybe he fell out of his nest.
Ter got some crackers and started to feed him which he ate just fine. I thought this a bit strange. Megan thought this was great fun to be able to hold a baby bird and not have it fly away. He had the most pitiful little cheap. Megan is our animal lover, so she made him a bed inside a swim towel and he fell asleep for a little while.
When he woke up he started chirping very loudly and pretty soon our neighbor man came over and said he was following the sound of the bird. I guess his cat attacked and ate both the mother and father bird so they were raising this baby bird by hand. He said is was just learning to fly and that they'd been feeding it with a medicine dropper.
I'm glad he showed up because my kids were getting quite nervous with it getting dark outside. They didn't want to leave the bird alone, but I wasn't about to have it come inside, it had already pooped in every ones hand and it was flying like it was drunk. I could just see it smashing into the windows and squawking all night. No thank you!
Interesting experience to be that close to a bird that's not afraid of you.

No comments: