Mom and dad have turned into true blue farmers and fall brings a bounty of home grown goodness. Not like we haven't been busy with garden produce thus far, it's just that now the weather is a little cooler and more pleasant for harvesting. This day we picked apples and squash of all shapes and sizes.

Here's grandpa showing the different types of apples. Can I remember the names, no! Just something about the shapes on the bottom of the apples. This one has mounds....

this one doesn't....



Green kind....

Red kind.....

Aunt Amy stopped in just in time to help. She actually came for the BYU football game, but when you show up early, you get put to work. Thanks for helping Amy!

Brevin, not so sure about reaching in that far....

Mr. "I can do this!"


Adjusting the ladder for a better reach....

Amy is determined to get a particular apple....

I got it, here take it, before I crash to the ground!

Moments before a tree branch punctures his almost balding head....

Ter, yelling at me to take the
!@#%&* apples and stop taking
!@#%&* pictures! Love ya hunny!

Not quite tall enough? A basket on a stick should do the trick!

Ah ha, victory!

Cousin Caleb, showed up early for the game, so he too got put to work.

Grandpa, a.k.a. farmer Fred, using his tractor to move the pumpkins that weigh over 100 pounds.

Megan directing traffic....

Meg and Charlotte in the pumpkin patch.

Uncle Jeff helping to stabilize things....

Beautiful gourds of every color.

Oops, tomatoes are ready, may as well pick 'em.

Kids needing a break from all their hard work. Two man touch'll do the trick.
So here's the play by play action. Amy trying to intercept.

Hail Mary!

Come on Brev, you can get it off before Spencer clobbers you!

Spencer giving Caleb the play.

Caleb's got it!

Here was a final harvest for this particular day. Banana squash anyone!

Mom had said, I don't think there are very many apples on the trees! So we bought 5 boxes that morning to bottle up. Um, mom, I think we had plenty! 10 boxes off her trees, that's awesome!

So.... the guys and the kids took off to the football game while mom and I canned our little hearts out. This was the one weekend Sarah and her family couldn't come. Mom and I had compassion and did her apple sauce anyway. Aren't we nice people!

By 2 a.m. we had 56 jars of apple sauce, 15 1/2 gallon jars of apple juice and 16 pints of stewed tomatoes. All in a days work!
5 comments:
It all looks so awesome! Some days I really wish I lived closer to everyone. This would be one of them.
By the way...love Meg's cute hat.
What a lovely garden your parents have! When our trees start producing I'm going to have to recruit the family. Hopefully, by we'll have some citrus to share when we come for Christmas. By the way, the kids are growing up way too fast! They all look so much older than when I saw them in February. Ugh! I hate not seeing them more often. Give them hugs from me.
Wow! Those are ginormous gourdes! And look at all those apples! You guys must be work horses to get that all done in a few hours! Good job! I love the smell in the house from making apple sauce.
Wow! Looks like my dad isn't the only Lewis who has contracted the preparedness virus. I'm looking forward to the day when we all live on a commune together after Armageddon. I'll bring the All-Bran to balance out all of the applesauce. Seriously, I am impressed. Good work!
Post a Comment