
We had a very lovely Memorial Day this year. We have never really taken the time to think about the purpose of this holiday. So this year, we decided it was high time we turn this holiday into a big deal.


Our day began at the
cemetery where
Ter has some relatives
buried. We arrived in time to hear the 21 gun salute and taps. Taps always makes me tear up. We then looked at the cemetery log to find out where to look for the headstones of our relatives. The kids noticed several headstones of babies that didn't live much longer than a day or two. How hard life must have been back then.

We decided we should see all the attractions listed for tourists before we start complaining that there is nothing to do in St. George. So the first stop on our list was the Brigham Young home. We took a tour with a Sister Missionary and learned that all the exposed wood used in the house was pine, but Brigham Young had it painted to look like oak. This must have taken hours. It was beautiful!

This 200 year old tree has a huge cable with bolts holding it together. It shades the entire yard. We learned that they planted cotton, grapes and peacan trees. I didn't realize peacan trees grow all over the older parts of town, I think I'd better plant one as well. I'll have to add that to my honey-do list. I love peacans!


This is Brigham Youngs bedroom. He has a stool by his bed that he always kneeled on to pray. I'm sure he also used it to actually get into bed. It was quite high off the ground.

Our second stop was the Jacob Hamblin home. We learned that his first wife took all four of their children out to the pasture where Jacob was working one day, layed the baby on the ground next to the three children and told Jacob she was leaving, she said, "she wasn't fit to be a pioneer woman." I've never understood how a woman can simply ditch her kids, as if they were used clothing. Luckily Jacob found a second wife who was very good to his kids, plus they had several more. The sad part is, this second wife dies when Jacob is away on business. He did marry a third time, but we never got to the end of the story. I guess we'll have to go back to find out what happened.


Ah, the happy couple! This house would not have been bad to live in. They said it was quite grand for its time. I say, add some indoor plumbing and we'd be good to go.



Our third stop was the Pine Valley Chapel out in Pine Valley! They still hold Sunday services in this building. It's a senior branch, meaning they have no primary or YM/YW. If they happen to have enough kids to have a sunday school class, then they always have someone prepared to teach.
Here is a good example of the wood. It's actually pine, painted to look like oak. Pretty crazy hugh?!

This is a three story building and with a video set up to get to all the floors, they can get about 500 people stuffed in for church.

We're standing up by the front entry. Thankfully there is a bottom level for those who can't climb all the stairs.
We didn't stay for long, St. George was 95 degrees but Pine Valley 70 degrees. It felt like winter. We're such pansies!
Next on our historic tour of St. George is the St. George Tabernacle. Spencer will have his piano recital here this coming Saturday.


Spencer was to nervous to sit down at the piano and practise his song, so Megan and Brevin did their numbers for the Sister Missionary. The sister was totally impressed.


Our final stop of the day was the new city creek park just outside the tabernacle. They've added some fun water features and plenty of seating for the parents. I really enjoy people watching, so we go to this park a couple times a months. Plus it's right next door to our new public library. (Ter and I are drying out the boys shirts before we head home.)

Spencer getting shot with the fountain.

All three of our yahoos, having a great time!
Well, as far as tourist attractions go, we only have two more things to see then we will have done everything in St. George. I'm being serious! So we'll have to get creative with weekend trips to the outlying areas.
2 comments:
My favorite thing about St. Geroge is all the old buildings. If I had tons of money I'd by myself a 150 year old house down there.
What a great way to spend the holiday! I'm still birthday challenged. There's no way I could pull off a garden party--that was beautiful! I can't believe how much Spencer looks like Ter.
Post a Comment