Friday, March 18, 2011

Mom and Dad's new rental

Back in December, my dad and mom decided to buy another house to use as a rental property. They already own a house right next door to theirs and have fabulous renters. We're hoping they find someone just as fabulous to rent this house. We found that the more time we put into this little place, the more we love it. It's not a grand house an any way, it's just a cute, simple, happy house with an awesome yard. Between January and March we made 6 trips to Provo to gut and restore this dilapidated gem. It's kind of an unspoken rule in our family that you can't buy a house that's move in ready. I'm so amazed at what slobs people can be and the filth they live in. These pictures are definitely not in any particular order. As a matter of fact they are down right confusing. So I'll try to explain as we go along. Here's the grunt workers taking a lunch break.
Kyle....
Brev....
Cara....
Tadd...(not a worker, just a T.V. watcher)
Teya....(eating a chicken leg)
One thing these photos are missing is the awful smell of dog urine and people urine. The two bathrooms were DISGUSTING! Later photos will show the rotten floor, which led to me and dad cutting out the old shower surrounds and putting in new tubs.


Since it would be to difficult to put in a new surround, (the size won't allow you to get it in the existing door frame) we bought just the tubs then Sarah and I tiled from the top of the tub to the ceiling.


Of course mom helped too.


We used 6X6 white tiles and brick stacked them.


Here's the painting crew in the basement.


Mom and I underestimated the amount of stuff we had to put in her car. We almost had to leave the kids behind. Lucky for us they were skinny enough to slide on top of the boxes.


The carpet was really gross, so Sarah came up with the idea of putting the wood floor in the living room and kitchen. It really helps the area look bigger.


In the process of tiling the master bath.


This bath only had a tub, so dad added the shower head.


The younger ones taking a T.V break.


Looking from the master bath through to the hall bath. Grandpa and Spencer are putting up the backer board so we can tile.
Spencer was in charge of screwing in all the backer board.



Grandpa taught Spencer how to solder so they could get the water heater in place.


This is standing on the landing looking down at the kitchen. Notice the school bus yellow counter tops!? YUCK!!

The cabinet that has two doors facing us, there used to be an arm of cabinets that came out into the kitchen. It was way to cramped so I had my dad take it out and he'll put that two door cabinet flush on the wall. You'll see in a later photo.


This is the color we painted the entire house. Not too dark, but not white. It's prettier in real life.
The master bath only had a tub. It was a jetted tub, but in really bad shape. So out it comes!


Ter used the jab saw to make short order of the tub. I filled up several bags of moldy insulation. Uck!


Just another picture of the wall color in one of the 5 bedrooms.


Remember I told you about the smell. Well, when I got into the bathrooms to start ripping up the floors I found them to be completely rotted through. Like the ceiling in the basement had a huge bulge where the water was dripping from the toilet above. SICK!! And the previous owners couldn't smell or see a problem? Actually they new there was a problem, but there idea of fixing it was to keep putting new flooring down instead of pulling up the toilet and fixing the dripping pipes. So the rot was all the way under the tub. Tub had to go!


So, my dad is in their somewhere cutting up the tub surround so I can pull it out.


Again the insulation was rotten and everything was wet.


I ripped out all the sub floor so you could see through to the basement.



Dad working in the basement.


My funny little Megan.


In the process of ripping up the hall bathroom floor.


Spencer was in charge of putting all the screws in the new Sheetrock. The was basically the entire basement. He was awesome.


Megan pulling out staples from the old carpet.


Mom and I helping to hang Sheetrock in the basement.


Thankfully dad hired out the pros to put on a new roof.


I hate these type of doors on showers. It makes them so hard to clean. So I took them off thinking I could simply fill in the nails holes. I could have had the floor not been rotted through.

But I'm soooooo happy with our new showers. They look awesome!

Master jetted tub. Nasty!!



Basement walls going up. Dad added one more full bath. So this is a 5 bedroom 3 bath house.




Brevin sanding down the handrail.


One of the bedrooms was painted Pepto Bismal pink. Aaagh!


Jeremie and Ter finishing the flooring in the kitchen.


Brevin and Spence cleaning up the side yard.


Me and dad installing the new toilet. Megan was about to die as we had had no toilet for quite some time.


The first flush! Ah ha no leaks!



Fabulous storage room on the very bottom floor.


Completed hall bath. New vanity, used to be orange, new floor and look at that tile job!


For you Johnson cousins, this house is basically Aunt Kaylynns floor plan. Only this house's front door would be in Kaylynns garage. It's a split level with 4 levels. Livingroom and kitchen on the main floor.


My camera light was bad but the kitchen looks beautiful. The counter tops look like stone. Good choice mom! New appliances too!


Sarah, puttin' on her modeling groove. Upstairs has the master bed/bath, two bedrooms and full bath.


This is the level just below the kitchen. It has a family room, laundry, bedroom and full bath.


Then these stairs lead you down to the fourth level. Which has the storage room and that aweful pink room that is no longer pink.
I guess there is a limit to how many pictures you can post at one time. I had others, but they are no longer here.

3 comments:

Annette said...

I'm so glad you posted pictures! I've been wanting to see it in person. My mom says it looks amazing.

Sarah and Jeremie said...

Wow! It's cool to see the pictures all together like that. I say that we don't do something like that again for a while. Love all the pics of the spring projects also.

The Fred & Stephanie Lewis Family said...

WOW!!! GREAT work!! I am especially impressed with the tiled showers. Good job guys!
-Steph