Sunday, September 26, 2010

Summer Canning

Summer brought an abundance of produce from my mom's garden and a little from mine. This is one of 12 banana quash that we must figure out what to do with. You can only eat so much of it fresh. True, it will keep for several months, if not the whole winter in a cool dry place, but once you cut into it, you have to eat it. So.... we bottle it.

Ter was kind enough to hack into it with a big knife. A chain saw would have been easier.


We chunked it up into 1 1/2 inch squares then pressured it in jars. I always love how it looks right out of the pressure cooker.

Now it's ready to be used in Mayan Hot Chocolate, Squash soap, and Pumpkin pancakes. I only bottled half the squash and got 7 quarts and 7 pints. Mom and Sarah took 1/4 and I cooked up the other 1/4 which lasted two meals.

2 comments:

Annette said...

Whoa! That's a big squash. You could hurt someone with that thing!

Renae said...

O.K. that squash is unbelievable!! I'd take a zucchini like if it didn't taste old and gross.

I agree with the canning, not especially something I love to do, but I love the food and how it looks on the shelves when we're all done.