Megan and her friend Ellie had to
create the planet Jupiter and it's moon for a science project at school. Most of the kids automatically think of a big
Styrofoam ball, then paint it.
Originally this is what Meg and Ellie wanted to do. Have you ever priced those balls? $10 a piece. The girls showed me the picture they were going to copy and I immediately thought of this batik fabric down at the quilt shop. Since they needed my help, I suggested that we stop at the fabric place and just have a look. They didn't have to go with this idea, but at least give it a thought.

Well, lucky for me, they liked the fabric idea. They had so much fun in the quilt shop. There were probably 10 different fabrics they were trying to decide between. They chose the same fabric for Jupiter, then each chose a separate fabric for it's moon.

I found a free pattern on line for a baby's toy fabric ball. The pattern was one piece cut out 6 times. I made two different sizes, sewed them up and the girls stuffed them.

Ellie was so cute. I guess her mom doesn't sew and she thought this was the coolest thing ever. We taught her how to do a whip stitch and they both did the sewing to close up the balls.
Tada! Finished project! The fabric actually looks like the surface of Jupiter, so the girls didn't even have to paint.
They received lots of
oohs and
aahs at school. Some of the kids thought they were show offs. But I reminded the girls that kids say things like that when they are jealous. They weren't trying to show off, they just wanted their project to be different and get a good grade. Which they did!
No comments:
Post a Comment