Saturday, November 20, 2010

Canning Pomegranates

These pomegranates came from 6 different trees. I'm not shy about knocking on someones door and asking if they are going to use their produce. I hate to see stuff go to waste!

Anyone who has ever juiced pomegranates knows it is NOT a fun process. It's messy, time consuming and for the amount of work you put in, you don't get much back. Unless you have 9 buckets full.
We have 4 juicers, like the one my dad is using. These were hard to come buy because they aren't made any more.

(Spencer and Meg taking their turn.)
We put the juicer on cookie sheets so we wouldn't get drips on the floor and catch whatever juice didn't get caught in the bottom of the juicers. I would cut each pomegranate into 4 sometimes 8 pieces depending on the size, then dole them out to each person until they had a good pile to work from.


The juice was then dumped into a collective saucepan that took forever to get filled but the color was absolutely beautiful. Mom would add the sugar and some water, then heat it up.

(Jeremie and Ter taking their turn.)
Sarah and I were stuck in the same position all day cuz the guys went to the football game. Mom was at the oven filling jars. We ended up with 53 quarts of Pomegranate Juice. Our favorite way to drink this is to mix a 1/2 qrt pom. juice with 1 gallon Country Time Lemonade. Ohhh so good!
We thought this completed our canning for the season. But when we got home, our backyard neighbors called to say they still had pomegranates and would we like them. 5 more buckets! So we bottled 4 batches of pomegranate jam and 14 quarts of syrup. Then gave away the last 1 1/2 buckets. Ter couldn't take squeezing any more. I don't blame him! I had the easy job.

No comments: