When mom came for Megans birthday party she helped me get started on creating a slip cover for one of my chairs. I've decided after all these years that custom slip covers are the way to go. Custom, meaning I make them myself because I'm to cheap to buy them, fit much better than generic brands in the store. Mom showed me how to make a pattern for my chair. My slip covers will have lots of detail so that buy the time I'm done, it won't look like a slip cover, more like new upholstery. Piping is the key as well as a good tight fit.

We used an old sheet for the pattern and for this particular chair it will also be the lining because the fabric I'm using doesn't have a nice backing. It's quilted, so it needs the added strength.


We've pinned the slip cover together so the wrong side is out and left a good seam allowance.

Now I just need to unpin it, make sure I cut the back panel where the zipper or velcro will go and trace each piece so I have a perminant pattern for furture use. I'm pretty sure I won't go back to regular upholstery on these particular items until after the kids are gone. Even then, I think I'm sold on slip covers. I like the idea of being able to wash soiled furniture.
No comments:
Post a Comment