Sunday, August 15, 2010

Ambulance visit

So here we were minding our own business at the park. The kids were having a great time until Brevin decided to go on the monkey bars. (pictured at the right of Spencer)

It's been raining and everything is wet. I actually didn't see what happened. I just heard a thump and turned around to see Brevin on his bottom with he legs straight out in front of him. He had these huge eyes, which were trying to tell me something was wrong, but he wasn't able to speak and as a matter of fact he wasn't breathing. He'd completely knocked the wind out of himself.

I lifted him up off the ground and tried to help him bend over and catch his breath. I had my arm wrapped around his front when all of a sudden he started having convulsions. This has never happened to any of my kids. At this point I panicked and yelled to this family for help. I gently threw Brevin backwards onto the ground and dialed 911. I was to worried about Brevin to talk so I tossed my phone to this man and he got the ambulance to where we were.

It seemed like forever but I'm sure it was only about 60 seconds before Brevin came to and started breathing normally. He was still somewhat dazed and looked around as if he didn't know where he was.


By the time the ambulance got to us, I could get Brevin on his feet and we walked out to meet the crew. They looked him over real good and suggested we take him to the hospital. The only problem was, I wasn't in St. George, I was in Cedar. Not that this is a problem, it's just that I know how long it takes to get anything done at the hospital and I wanted to get home. Brevin didn't want to go to the hospital and said he felt fine.
For several days after when we told people what happened, they'd say, " oh yeah, we've seen that happen before." This one guy said it's happened to a couple of his football players.
I was so involved with Brevin that I didn't realize the mother of this other family was hugging Megan while she was crying. Megan told me later she said several prayers and that it was really scary to see Brevin like he was. I can only imagine.
I guess I kind of had a little spiritual experience. When Brev was convulsing, I heard this voice tell me he'll be okay and if he just passes out he'll catch his breath. It's weird because I still heard it when I was kinda freaking out. It was a nice reminder that our Heavenly Father is aware of our needs.
Thankfully he's totally fine and we haven't had any other scary things happen this summer.

No comments: