Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Megan's Bedding

I did meet my goal of completion last week but we had a very busy daddy who couldn't hang the wall sconces until last night. I'm noticing in the picture that I need to fix the cord. Megan loved how it turned out. We still have two more items to complete, the drapery treatment and putting doors on her red hutch to hide the knick knacks. I'm waiting for inspiration to hit on the style of drapes.

The board and batton look on the wall was created by simply applying molding. We (me and my awesome mom) then painted the entire wall to make it look like panneling.

Mom also helped me build the upholstered headboard. Of course we worked on this in the wee hours of the morning and the more we added, to get it just right, the heavier it got. I think it weighs about 150 pounds. Isn't that usually how it works, you learn what not to do on the first one so the second time around things get easier and hopefully lighter. The pink check fabric is actually a slip cover. One of my new addictions. This way if she decides she would like something different, we simply make a new slip cover. One other addiction is the wall sconces. You can't tell in the picture but they are pink lamp shades with crystals hanging down. I love how they free up nightstand space as well as simply plug-in rather than hardwire.


I had fun with the embelishments on the pillows. Thanks Pottery Barn for the ideas. The shams are also removeable. In years past when I've done custom bedding for clients we used to sew everything shut, so my first bedding projects are not washable. You have to take them to the drycleaners. Now with Megan's we can simply toss them in the wash. I put velcro on the back. I thought about zippers, they may look a little nicer, but velcro was quicker and I had it on hand.


The scalloped pillows took forever and I didn't have a pattern so we (me and my mom) had to play with it to get the arch just right.



Did you know you can sew buttons on with your sewing machine? Just change your length setting to zero and your width setting to whatever size the hole is. I sewed on 40 buttons in less than 15 minutes.
We lined the dust skirt so it would hang nice and straight.



This quilt was the inspiration for the entire bedroom. It was one of my grandma Lewis'. Since she passed away when I was 16 I thought it would be nice for Megan to have something of hers.










13 comments:

Emily said...

Tiff, I am SO glad you posted pictures. Her room turned out SOOO cute!! I am jealous and I'm not even a little girl! And of course I am loving Grandma Lewis' quilt.

Renae said...

I think you need to be a guest blogger on our creative chicks site.

This looks awesome!!

Leslie said...

wow, wow, and wow!

Annette said...

Gorgeous! It looks like it came right out of a Pottery Barn magazine. Can I have one too? I've been wanting to put molding on the girls' walls for awhile so maybe I'll get with it now.

Nancy said...

That is so darling! Im totally in love with girly decorations, so we better have a girl sometime! But seriously, love the room.

mom said...

You and Gayle did a great job. I love all the fabric and color combinations. The room has a rally great look. Well done!

The Fred & Stephanie Lewis Family said...

That is so cute!!!!!

~Haleigh Bug~

Jen and Alec said...

I expected a gorgeous room and you didn't disappoint! I really loved that you used one of Grandma's quilts. She had excellent taste, and apparently it was genetic.

The White House said...

What a great reward for all the effort Tiff, Love it. I'm sure Megan feels like "Queen B" everytime she enters her palace.

The Fred & Stephanie Lewis Family said...

GREAT work! Love the tip of sewing on buttons with the sewing machine.
-Steph

Lianne said...

Her bedding is way cute!! You guys did such a good job. You can come do my room... :)

Sarah and Jeremie said...

hey Tiff,
It looks great. Can't wait for you to help me with Caras room.

Lewis Times said...

Love it! So stinkin' cute!